About Ephesus Tour
Embark on a journey to visit the most frequently visited antique city in Turkey, Ephesus, in just one day from Istanbul. Our Ephesus Tour from Istanbul provides you with all the necessary arrangements, including transfers, flights, and other details, allowing you to immerse yourself in the rich history of Asia Minor.
Ephesus is renowned as the most famous ancient site in Turkey, having been built by refugees arriving from the Aegean Islands after 1040 BC. Over time, it became a significant part of history, first as a Greek city and then as a major Roman city. It was also one of the twelve cities of the Ionian League in Classical Greek Era, with a population of approximately 250,000 in the 1st century BC. As a port city, it served as an essential commercial center and was also sacred to Christians because of its association with Virgin Mary, Saint Paul, and Saint John The Evangelist.
Located at the outskirts of Ephesus, the Temple of Artemis is one of the Seven Wonders of the World, completed in 550 BC. The temple was built on a sacred site, which had been in use since the 8th century BC, and had been destroyed and rebuilt three times. The Temple of Artemis served as a significant religious center and bank, contributing greatly to the value of Ephesus. However, it was abandoned after the Christian takeover of the area.
Virgin Mary’s House, situated at the foot of Bulbul Mountain in Selcuk, is a Catholic and Muslim shrine. A Catholic nun in Germany discovered it after having visions about a house where Mother Mary lived before she died. Since then, it has become an important pilgrimage site for Catholics. A modest stone house, located atop the mountain, is connected to Virgin Mary’s Church in Ephesus and the Basilica of St. John in Selcuk Town.
Ephesus Tour Itinerary
- Begin your day by being picked up from your Istanbul hotel in the early morning, and transferred to the airport for your flight to Izmir. Upon arrival in Izmir, you will be met by a driver who will transport you to Selcuk, where your full-day Ephesus Tour will commence.
- Your tour will start with a visit to the Temple of Artemis, followed by a drive to Ephesus. Here, you will have the opportunity to witness the Celcus Library, the Temple of Hadrian, the fountain of Trajan, and the Theater.
- Later, you will enjoy lunch at a local Turkish restaurant before driving to the Virgin Mary’s House.This site was discovered by Lazarist priests after a German nun had visions about the house and mountain as the last residence of Virgin Mary. Today, it is a Muslim and Catholic shrine, cared for by Lazarist Fathers who still celebrate mass there every day.
- After the tour concludes, you will be driven to the Izmir Airport for your return flight to Istanbul. Upon arrival in Istanbul, you will meet with a driver who will transfer you back to your hotel.
- Domestic flight tickets
- Enterance fees to sites
- Professional English speaking guide
What’s Not Included?
- Personal Expenses & Tips
- Entrance fee for Terrace Houses